This spicy cumin lamb is so tasty! The quick stir-fry dish is loaded with vegetables and takes only 15 minutes to make.
We used to order a cumin ground lamb dish served with spring pancakes at our favourite Uyghur-style restaurant all the time. My family loved it so much that I started making it at home every so often. Everyone always look forward to it coming back into dinner rotation. I know it’s a win-win, because it takes me little time to cook to make everyone’s stomach happy! Watch the video below for how easy it is to make this delicious stir-fry ground lamb.
Notes on The Spices
Cumin and chili pepper are classic flavour pairings with lamb. I like to use a combination of whole and powdered spices to add layers of flavours. For example, I used both cumin seeds and ground cumin, and both cayenne pepper powder and chili flakes in this dish.
I fried the cumin seeds and chili flakes in the beginning along with onion to extract the aroma of the spices; then I added the ground cumin and cayenne pepper powder near the end to infuse more flavour into the whole dish.
If you don’t have different forms of cumin and chili pepper on hands, you can use cumin seeds and ground cumin interchangeably, and chili flakes and cayenne pepper powder interchangeably too.
Making a Full Meal
The Uyghur restaurant always serve this ground lamb dish with spring pancakes, which you probably know as the wrappers for Peking duck wraps. Spring pancakes are basically super-thin Chinese-style tortillas. Instead of making your own spring pancakes, you can also buy ready-made tortillas from the grocery stores. Fill the pancakes or tortillas with spicy cumin lamb and eat them like tacos.
I also highly recommend serving the spicy cumin lamb on top of rice. The rice soaks up the delicious juice of this dish and make a yummy dinner bowl!
Personally I also love to eat this dish in lettuce wraps. It’s healthy with a crunch, and refreshing. This combination is completely keto, paleo, gluten-free and whole 30.
More Quick and Tasty Dinner Recipes You Will Love:
- Moo Shu Pork (Keto, Low-Carb)
- Easy Stir Fry Kimchi & Pork Belly
- Olive and Preserved Lemon Poached Shrimp
- Keto Cauliflower Fried Rice /w Hot Dog and Eggs
- Vegan Mapo Tofu
- Stir Fry Bean Sprouts with Minced Pork (Keto, Gluten-Free)
- Sheet-Pan Keto Zucchini Noodles and Shrimp (Paleo, Whole 30, Keto)
Spicy Cumin Lamb (Keto, Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 pound minced lamb
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds, chili flakes and diced onion. Stir for 1 minute. Add diced celery, then stir for 2 minutes.
- Add ground lamb to the pan, use a spetula to break the ground lamb into small pieces and mix well with the vegetables.
- Once the lamb is no longer pink, add salt, ground cumin, cayenne pepper powder, and diced bell pepper. Stir for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with rice, spring pancakes or lettuce wraps.
Leave a Reply