Baked butterfly shrimp makes a tasty main dish or appetizer. It is healthy and takes less than 30 minutes to make. This baked butterfly shrimp is keto, gluten-free, paleo and whole 30.
Baked Butterfly Shrimp Ingredients
This baked butterfly shrimp uses only 7 ingredients and is so easy to make.
- Shell-On Large Shrimp (heads removed, I use 16/20 size in the photos and video)
- Ghee or Butter (interchangeable but ghee is dairy-free, you can make your own ghee at the fraction of the cost to store-bought)
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Parsley
- Lemon (preferably organic)
Perfect Meal Prep Recipe
Baked butterfly shrimp is a great recipe to prepare ahead of time for when you need a quick dish at a later time. After you spread the garlic-herb butter on the butterflied shrimp, store the prepared shrimp in an airtight container or ziplock bags. You can stack the shrimp to save space. Keep the prepared shrimp in the fridge if using within 1 to 2 days, in the freezer for up to 6 months (thaw in the fridge before cooking).
Butterfly Shrimp Cooking Tips
- Large shrimp work the best for this butterfly shrimp recipe. I use 16/20 size unpeeled shrimp with heads removed. Depending on the size of the shrimp you use, you may need to adjust the cooking time to not under or over cook the shrimp.
- For best presentation and taste, devein the shrimp on both the back and front side. The shrimp I bought was already deveined on the back, therefore you will see me devein only the front side in the video. You will need to devein both sides if your shrimp isn’t deveined on the back.
- If you store your ghee/butter in the fridge, take them out to return to room temperature before use, so that they are spreadable.
- Buy organic lemon if you can as we are using the zest of the lemon in this recipe. Cut the lemon into wedges after zesting, to serve with the shrimp.
- I like using a garlic press as it is convenient and it can mince the garlic really fine. You can also use a mortar and pestle or mince the garlic finely with a knife.
Related: More Tasty Seafood Recipes You Will Love
- Olive and Preserved Lemon Poached Shrimp
- Sheet-Pan Keto Zucchini Noodles and Shrimp (Paleo, Whole 30, Keto)
- Sausage & Mussels in Tomato Broth (Paleo, Low-Carb)
- Smoked Salmon Potato Salad with Pickle Juice Dressing (a Probiotic Twist)
- Coconut Pea Puree + Baked Sole Flowers
Easy Baked Butterfly Shrimp
- 1 pound large shrimp unpeeled, head removed
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter (see notes)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced parsley
- 1 lemon for zest and juice (see notes)
- Butterfly and devine the shrimp. Lay the shrimp on a large baking sheet, shell side down, without overlapping each other.
- Spead the mixture evenly on top of the shrimp (the flesh side).
- Bake the shrimp on the centre rack in a pre-heated oven at 350℉ for 7 minutes.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges. Squeeze the lemon juice on the shrimp just before eating.
- Ghee or Butter: If you store your ghee/butter in the fridge, take them out to return to room temperature before use, so that they are spreadable. For paleo, whole 30 and dairy-free diets, use ghee instead of butter. Both ghee and butter are suitable for keto, low-carb and gluten-free diets.
- Lemon: Buy organic lemon if you can as we are using the zest of the lemon in this recipe. Cut the lemon into wedges after zesting, to serve with the shrimp.