This sorghum bread is the best of all worlds: soft, nutritious, and slightly sweet without refined sugar! Sorghum flour is naturally gluten-free. You will love that every ingredient adds nutrients and flavours to this amazing bread made from sorghum flour. This uncomplicated gluten-free bread recipe doesn’t require blending with other flours.
If you love sorghum flour or want to experiment with it, you should definitely try my Gluten-Free Sorghum Almond Cookies. Watch the video below for how easy it is to make this sweet potato sorghum raisin bread recipe.
Can You Make Bread with Sorghum Flour?
Yes! In fact the only flour in this recipe is sorghum flour. When it comes to baking, most people (myself included) don’t have multiple kinds of uncommon flours sitting around. I want to keep the recipe uncomplicated using only sorghum flour and other common ingredients.
Gluten-Free Sorghum Bread Ingredients
- Sweet Potato
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Coconut Oil
- Maple Syrup
- Sorghum Flour
- Baking Powder
- Cinnamon Powder
- Sea Salt
Do I Have to Use Sweet Potatoes?
I used sweet potatoes to add extra nutrients, fibre and sweetness to the bread. If you skip the sweet potatoes, it may throw off the ratio of the ingredients. However, you can be quite flexible with this recipe. For example, you can replace sweet potatoes with bananas, or cooked winter squash, or pumpkins.
Can I Freeze Sorghum Bread?
Yes. You can store unfinished bread in the freezer. Thaw the bread before you need to eat it. Freezing extends the shelf life significantly and makes a quick snack or meal with made-ahead bread.
More Healthy Baking Recipes You Will Love:
- Spelt Blueberry Muffins
- Paleo Coconut Kabocha Squash Muffins
- Kefir Fermented Honey Thyme Sourdough Cornbread
- Gluten Free Orange Cranberry Coconut Scones
- Gluten-Free Sorghum Almond Cookies
- Cheesy Weed Crackers (Keto, Gluten-Free)
- Cannabis Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free, Low-Dose)
Sweet Potato Sorghum Raisin Bread (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes steamed
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups sorghum flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 350℉.
- Remove the skin of steamed sweet potatoes and mesh the flesh in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, coconut oil and maple syrup into the large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine all wet ingredients.
- In a separate dish, evenly combine the following dry ingredients: sorghum flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Gently stir to make a batter.
- Reserve a small handful of raisins for garnish. Mix the rest of the raisins into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan. Decorate the top of the loaf with the reserved raisins.
- Bake the bread on the centre rack of the oven for 45 minutes, until the toothpick comes out clean after inserting into centre of the bread.