Grilled okra is an easy side dish to make on the BBQ. This grilled okra recipe uses only 5 ingredients and requires no cutting at all. Healthy, tasty and fun to eat with your fingers, grilled okra is my favourite okra preparation of all time.
I used to be intimidated by okra. Although my in-law side of the families are Indian, I never really liked okra in Indian dishes. Besides, I find them always slimy on the inside when I cooked them. However, when my friend Creag introduced grilled okra to me, my entire opinion of okra changed. Perfectly grilled okras are so tasty that I could eat the whole batch in one sitting.
Easy Grilled Okra Recipe
Okras grow in hot and dry weather. That means okra season is naturally the BBQ season. Grilled okras will be the star vegetable dish at your summer BBQ. Here is everything you need to make this recipe:
- sea salt
- garlic powder
- avocado oil (or a healthy cooking oil of your choice)
- fresh lemon juice
How to Grill Okras
I summarized a few simple tips to make this dish a success.
- There is need to cut the okras or remove the stems. Just toss them in all the seasonings and briefly marinate them.
- Make sure to grill them at high temperature. I let my grill pre-heat to 425℉ before putting on the okras.
- Grill them about 5 to 7 minutes per side. When the okras turn soft, as you press on them with the tongs, they are ready.
Making a Complete Meal
Related: More Vegetable Side Dish You Will Love
- Instant Pot Beets Salad (Paleo, Whole 30, Vegan)
- Purple Cabbage & Jicama Slaw
- Pickled Shallots (Easy, Vegan)
- Anti-inflammatory Garlic Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower
- Avocado Salad in Sun-Dried Tomato Dressing
- Ginger Orange Pickled Daikon + Immune Shot (Paleo, Whole30, Vegan)
- Warm Brussels Sprout Salad in Miso Dressing
Grilled Okra (Keto, Vegan, Paleo)
- 1 pound okra
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or a healthy cooking oil of your choice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pre-heat the grill to 425℉ over high heat.
- Meanwhile, toss all the ingredients together and marinate briefly.
- Place the okras on the hot grill. Cook 5 to 7 minutes over high heat on each side, until the okra pods are soft when you press on them with the tongs. Remove the cooked okras from the grill onto a plate.