You will love this rice-less sushi for extra dose of probiotics from the kefir cheese. Along with smoked salmon, avocado, sesame seeds, cucumber, microgreens, this kefir cheese smoked salmon wrap, a.k.a. probiotic sushi, not only is a tasty treat, but also a super brain food to support mental health and brain functions.
Whether you make your own milk kefir at home or buy your milk kefir from stores, you can make kefir cheese. If you make your own milk kefir from milk kefir grains, you get more probiotic benefits, and you can also speed up the cheese making process with over-fermentation. I talked about how to make kefir cheese in my Raspberry Kefir Cream Cheese Spread recipe.
To recap here, you will need 4-layers of cheese cloth or a coffee filter to strain out the whey from your milk kefir. All you need to do is to pour your milk kefir into the filter. A clear yellow liquid will pass through the filer into the container you place below the filer. This clear yellow liquid is called whey – don’t throw it away, it’s full of health benefits. The straining can take a couple days for the solid left in the filter to reach the right consistency. You can totally leave the filter in the room temperature away from the sun, or in the fridge for a peace of mind. If you over-ferment your milk kefir at home until it curdles and the whey separated in the bottom of your milk kefir jar, then you can filter out a lot whey right away and shorten the straining time by quite a bit.
You can even use home-made or store-bought yogurt to make cheese too. The process is exactly the same by straining out the whey until the solid left behind reaches the consistency of the cream cheese.
More milk kefir recipes you will love:
Our brains need good amount of healthy fat to maintain its regular functions. The fat in whole milk kefir cheese is good for us. Salmon, avocado and sesame are all great brain foods for providing healthy fats. Women after child birth and nursing literally lose brain mass! There is a reason for the term “baby brain” – the mothers’ brains shrink in size due to the amount of fat they have to provide for the growth of the babies in the womb and while breastfeeding. Our brains are made out of mostly fat and cholesterols. If we want happy and healthy brains, it’s no time to go on a low fat diet.
Our gut is our second brain. Studies are suggesting that a healthy gut flora can improve our mood and mental health. The probiotics from the kefir cheese may have a positive effect on the brains as well.
You will love this “sushi” with a good dipping sauce. But not everyone has wasabi readily available in the kitchen any given time. When you don’t, you can use the dipping sauce I paired with this kefir cheese smoked salmon wrap. The amount of each ingredients is listed in the recipe section. I use dijon mustard, soya sauce and fresh lemon juice to make the dipping sauce accompanying my kefir cheese smoked salmon wrap, a.k.a. probiotic sushi. Together, they are totally delicious!
More Japanese inspired recipes you will love:
- Ginger-Mustard-Miso Brussels Sprouts with Hemp Hearts
- Sake Kasu Recipe: The Best Tender Marinated Chicken
Kefir Cheese Smoked Salmon Wrap (Probiotic Sushi + Brain Food)
- 1 qt whole milk kefir, organic
- 12 slice smoked salmon
- 150 g kefir cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1 mini cucumber
- 1 cup microgreens
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp naturally brewed soya sauce (Gluten-free option: use tamari)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Making the Kefir Cheese
- When the kefir reaches the consistency of the cream cheese, it's ready. Do not discard the whey, as it's probiotic and can be used in other recipes.
Making the Wrap
- Trim off ends of the mini cucumber, then cut into thin julienne. Remove the pit and the shell of the avocado. Cut the flesh of the avocado into 12 even slices.
- Lay down 1 slice of the smoked salmon. Arrange kefir cheese, avocado, julienned cucumber, microgreens in the centre evenly distributed from left to right. Leave enough smoked salmon uncovered on the top and bottom for rolling. Wrap the smoked salmon around the fillings to make a roll. Repeat this step 12 times to make 12 rolls.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the kefir cheese smoked salmon wraps.
Making the Dipping Sauce
- Whisk all ingredients for the dipping sauce together. Serve with the wraps!
- For making flavoured kefir cheese, see Raspberry Kefir Cream Cheese Spread recipe.
- Calorie calculation is based on 1 serving.
If you made my recipe, I love to hear how you liked it! Oh, I also love to hear your favourite ways to eat kefir cheese and your favourite sushi!