Maple roasted pumpkin is an easy side dish on the fall table and so versatile to go with any meal.
There are unlimited things you can serve the maple roasted pumpkin with. Don’t be afraid to get creative. Watch the video below for how easy it is to make this dish.
What Kind of Pumpkin Should I Use?
Sugar pumpkins (or pie pumpkins) are the most common cooking pumpkins you see in stores. They are sweet and flavourful, thus people use them to make pies. I used a sugar pumpkin in the recipe video.
However, this pumpkin recipe is a great way to use up those large decorative pumpkins too. I have roasted the large pumpkins in the past years to avoid food waste, once they are done as decoration. The maple syrup adds sweetness to the pumpkins, once roasted they are just as delicious as the smaller sugar pumpkins.
Easy Roasted Pumpkin Recipe
This recipe uses only 5 ingredients. You can’t get easier than this.
- Maple syrup
- Cinnamon powder
Roasted Pumpkin for Special Diets
I love the buttery tasty of pumpkin roasted in ghee or butter. I used homemade plain ghee in the recipe, but you can use unsalted butter too. Note that with lactose and casein removed ghee is paleo, but butter is not paleo. To make the dish completely dairy-free and vegan, use coconut oil or avocado oil instead.
Besides serving this maple-roasted pumpkin as a starchy or vegetable side dish, I also love to use them as toppings in wraps and tacos (see video). The leftovers keep on giving. You can even toss them in salads and porridges.
Related: More Pumpkin and Winter Squash Recipes
- Turkey Quinoa Pumpkin Soup (with a Bone Broth Base)
- Butternut Squash Meatballs (Paleo, Whole 30)
- Paleo Coconut Kabocha Squash Muffins
Maple Roasted Pumpkin (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- 2 pounds pumpkin peeled and cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ghee melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 400℉.
- Mix the pumpkin with cinnamon, salt, melted ghee and maple syrup, until evenly coated.
- Spread the pumpkin and dressing on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake on the centre rack of the oven for 45 minutes until lightly browned.