This is a simple yet powerful kidney cleanse you can easily execute at home. The formula uses all-natural herbs. I am sharing my experience of the cleanse, formula and tips for anyone interested in trying the method.
Ever since I shared my experience with the amazing liver and gallbladder flush, I have been asked many times about this kidney cleanse. The liver detox method I followed was Andreas Moritz’s protocol. He explained everything you need to know about the liver flush in his book, “The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush”. He also recommended a supplementary kidney cleanse between those liver flushes. I used the exact kidney cleanse formula and method as recommended by Andreas Moritz, and here is my experience and review of the cleanse.
Andreas Moritz’s Kidney Cleanse Formula
If you aren’t familiar with Andreas Moritz or the amazing liver and gallbladder flush, I highly recommend picking up his book and read my liver flush experience. Andreas Moritz has multiple books, but his liver flush one is my favourite. It contains nuggets of wisdom and knowledge that challenge our understanding of how to optimize our health and wellbeing. He talked about the kidney cleanse in the book from page 335 to 347.
The kidney cleanse formula is an all-natural herbal blend. He called it the kidney cleanse tea, and it contains the following herbs.
- Marjoram – 1oz (28g)
- Cat’s claw – 1oz (28g)
- Comfrey root – 1oz (28g)
- Fennel seeds – 2oz (56g)
- Chicory herb or root – 2oz (56g)
- Uva ursi – 2oz (56g)
- Hydrangea root – 2oz (56g)
- Gravel root – 2oz (56g)
- Marshmallow root – 2oz (56g)
- Golden rod herb – 2oz (56g)
Where to Buy the Kidney Cleanse Tea
I purchased the kidney tea blend from the Present Moment website (not an affiliate). But I have waited too long to write this post, Present Moment no longer carries Andreas Moritz’s kidney tea. At the moment, you can buy the kidney tea from Herbathek (also not an affiliate), or make your own blend from individual herbs according to Andreas Moritz’s book.
I have noticed that the kidney tea Present Moment used to sell was the exact formula listed in the book (2012 edition, which is the one I own). However, the Herbathek kidney cleanse tea seems to use a couple herb substitutes. I am not expert enough to speak to the difference, or understand why, or able to tell you if the first edition of the book had a different formula altogether. My experience is based on using the Present Moment’s kidney tea, and I have not tried the Herbathek product myself.
Do I Need a Kidney Cleanse?
Long Overdue For Me
Andreas Moritz recommended doing a kidney flush after every 3-4 liver flushes. Personally I didn’t start the kidney cleanse until after 20 plus liver flushes. Mainly because there was a lot to juggle while I was trying to recover from fibromyalgia.
When I discovered that liver flushes worked for me, I focused on it for as long as I was improving my symptoms. The kidney cleanse simply didn’t get on my priority list during the very chaotic few years. However, in the back of my mind, I wanted to get on a schedule to perform the kidney cleanse in between liver flushes as suggested by Andreas Moritz’s book. Although I didn’t have obvious symptoms that suggested kidney stones, I saw how congested by liver was from doing the series of liver flushes. Intuitively I felt sure that a kidney cleanse was long overdue for me.
Why You Need The Cleanse
Andreas Moritz explained why you need a kidney cleanse the best. So here is an excerpt from the book and also on the instruction that comes with Present Moment’s kidney tea.
If the presence of gallstones in the liver, or any other situation, has led to the development of sand, grease or stones in the kidneys or urinary bladder, you may also need to cleanse your kidneys. The kidneys are very delicate, blood-filtering organs that congest easily due to dehydration, poor diet, weak digestion, stress or irregular life-style. The main cause of congestion in the kidneys are kidney stones. Most kidney grease/crystals/stones, however, are too small to be detected through modern diagnostic technology, including x-ray. They are often called ‘silent’ stones and do not seem to bother people much. When they grow larger, though, they can cause considerable distress and damage to the kidneys and the rest of the body. To prevent kidney problems and kidney-related diseases, it is best to eliminate the kidney stones before they can cause a crisis.
How to Do the Kidney Cleanse
I followed Andreas Moritz’s kidney cleanse method and here is what I did.
- Soak 2-3 tablespoons (10g) of the herb mix in 2 cups of water before bedtime, in the pot I will be cooking the tea in. If I forget to soak the herbs overnight, I soak it as soon as I get up in the morning.
- Cook the herbs in the morning. I usually do it after breakfast. Because you can’t drink the tea within an hour after eating, there is plenty of time to make the tea after breakfast. If I have soaked the herbs overnight, I bring the herbs to a boil and then turn off the heat right away. If I haven’t soaked the herbs overnight, I simmer the herbs for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and discard the cooked herbs. Keep the tea in a large glass at room temperature.
- Drink the tea throughout the day in 6 to 8 portions. Take small sips each time and not gulp down like water. Only drink the tea at least an hour after eating.
Length and Frequency of the Kidney Cleanse
Andreas Moritz recommended taking the kidney cleanse herbs for a period of 20 to 30 days. For someone who has a history of kidney stones, repeat the cleanse a few times at intervals of 6 weeks. If you are doing liver flushes, make sure to do a kidney cleanse after every 3 or 4 liver flushes.
Additional Tips During the Kidney Cleanse
There are a few more recommendations by Andreas Moritz for the kidney cleanse.
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water to support the kidney cleanse.
- Avoid consuming animal products (meat, dairy except butter, fish, eggs), tea, coffee, alcohol, carbonated beverages, chocolate, and any other foods or beverages that contain caffeine, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, colouring agents during the cleanse.
- Those who suffer from large kidney stones may benefit from drinking lemon juice diluted in water.
I ate mostly plant-based meals during the cleanse and avoided sugar, caffeine, colouring and preservatives. While I did eat very small amount of meat, fish and eggs at times due to circumstances, I tried to stick to the dietary guidance as much as I could. I also added fresh lemon juice into my water, even though I don’t have known kidney stones. My husband stayed on his omnivorous diet as he wasn’t willing to give up his meat and still had his coffee and sweets everyday. Both of us did the best to our abilities to follow the protocol.
What Does The Kidney Tea Taste Like?
The kidney tea is very mild. It doesn’t have a strong or unpleasant taste. The taste is similar to a plain black tea, without the milk and sugar.
How I Felt During The Kidney Cleanse
For the first few days of the kidney cleanse, I did feel a little dull ache in the kidney area of my lower back. The ache lessened over the course of the kidney cleanse to mostly unnoticeable.
Andreas Moritz did warn about the possible stiffness in the lower back, as a symptom of mineral crystals from kidney stones passing through the ureter ducts of the urinary system. It is completely normal and not a cause for concern. I am glad that I felt it and it signalled that the kidney cleanse worked for me.
I also felt thirsty during the cleanse. However, I am not sure if this is only because I paid more attention than usual to the fluids in my body. The good thing is that it reminded me to drink more water. I did not feel dehydrated during the cleanse.
All in all, the kidney cleanse felt relatively uneventful compared to the liver flush. I didn’t notice any change to the colour or smell of my urine, which is also fairly common according to the book due to a gradual release of toxin. I will definitely be doing the kidney cleanse again after a few more liver flushes.
Related: More Detox My Family Used to Optimize Our Health
- My Experience with the Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush
- How My Husband Lowered Bilirubin with Liver Detox
- How to Do a Liver Flush for Kids
- My First Infrared Sauna Experience + Why I Love It
- How to Choose a Safe Sunscreen + My Review of the Beautycounter Sunscreens
- Why I Switched to the Beautycounter Countertime Regimen