Grilled beef liver is nutritious and easy to prepare. The best part of this recipe is the spicy and flavourful marinade, based on the popular Peruvian Anticucho sauce. I prefer calf liver for the sweeter taste and softer texture over beef liver, but you can use this recipe to cook either calf liver or beef liver.
The marinade is simply amazing. Aside from liver, you can use the marinade on chicken and steak too. Traditionally, this marinade is frequently used on beef or veal hearts in Peruvian cuisine.
Grilled Beef (Calf) Liver Ingredients
- Beef liver or calf liver (I used calf liver, because they are tenderer and sweeter)
- Fresh birds eye chilis
- Ground cumin
- Avocado oil
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Red wine vinegar
- Fresh parsley
This is an extremely easy recipe to make. All you need to do is to mix all the ingredients together, marinate and then grill. Here are some tips for achieving the best results.
- I cut the liver into strips. This is to increase the surface area of the liver touching the marinade. You can cut the liver into even smaller chunks if you like to cover them entirely in the marinade.
- I put cut-up liver on skewers to prevent them from falling into the grill. Alternatively, you can grill the liver directly on the BBQ in whole pieces without the skewers too.
- Take care not to overcook the liver. You want the liver to be still a little pink on the inside. I grill mine over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Is Beef Liver Healthy?
Yes. Beef liver is a great source of protein, iron, vitamin A, and B vitamins. Liver is a nutrient-dense superfood that contains higher levels of many nutrients than you can find in the muscle meat.
Organ meats are consumed in traditional cultures as delicacies and the most valuable parts of the animals. I have many organ recipes on the blog.
Related: More Tasty and Nutrient-Dense Organ Recipes
- Easy Chicken Liver Pâté (Keto, Paleo, Whole 30)
- Nourishing Liver, Vegetable & Sweet Rice Congee
- Scottish Sautéed Veal Kidney
- Spicy Szechuan Tripe Salad
- Adrenal Support Chinese Herbs And Pig Stomach Soup (四神汤)
- Cozy Winter Meatball Soup (Gluten-Free, Paleo, Whole 30)
Grilled Beef (Calf) Liver
- 1 pound calf liver or beef liver
- 2 fresh bird's eye chilis or equivalent amount of red or green hot chili of your choice
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or healthy oil of your choice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- Cut the beef liver or calf liver into strips (or the size of chunks you desire).
- Remove the stems of the chili peppers and finely chop them. Separate the leaves of the parsley from the stems. Finely chop the parsley leaves and set aside for serving. Finely chop the parsley stems and set aside to use in the marinade.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine liver, chili, garlic, paprika, cumin, oil, salt, pepper, vinegar and parsley stems. Let the liver marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water. There is no need to soak metal skewers.
- Put the liver pieces on metal or bamboo skewers. Preheat the grill to 425℉ over high heat.
- Grill the liver for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Make sure not to overcook the liver and allow them to be a little pink on the inside.
- Serve hot with chopped parsley leaves.